View Single Post
Old 01-10-22, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Steve I have this 1st pattern in my A G C collection Corps formed in 1992 ,would have stopped being worn by 1993 ?? -often wondered why not many about
David
David,

Shortly before the AGC was formed i was working at RMAS as the Superintending Clerk (The Senior Military Clerk mainly working in HQs and almost always in the rank of WO1) and had to arrange for those personnel who were to be transferred into the AGC to collect new Berets and cap badges, collar dogs ect, in order that they could be worn from Day 1 of the new corps.

As well as this i had to encourage the forming members of the Corps (The RAOC staff clerks working in the establishment as well as the Pay Corps personnel and the WRAC clerks and other trades (there were several WRAC working at Regiment Duties there) to purchase the new stable belt. Cost i believe was about £35 and we had no idea what it looked like until it arrived one morning in the post. The order was placed and the belts where received in good time for the formation day and the necessary photograph. The belt went down like a lead balloon mainly because of the garish colours used.

As stated above on formation of the Corps the SPS element of the Corps was composed of RAOC Staff Clerks, Pay Corps personnel and WRAC Clerks and RD personnel. The Infantry, RA, RE, Signals, Armoured Corps and all other (All arms clerks) were slowly integrated into the new Corps over the next year. The other elements RMP, RAEC and ALC also transferred over on day 1. So only a small element of the SPS who were transferred over on day one wore this belt and then only for a very short time.

I have no idea why the belt was changed but to my knowledge the original belt was only worn for a very short period (maybe as long as 6 months but certainly no more than that) and then was replaced by the Red/Blue/Red variant that is used up to this day. The only good thing was that those who had purchased the original belt received a free replacement. Most of those who purchased the original threw the ghastly thing into the waste bins. Hence there are not too many around.

I still have mine but for what reason i have no idea. So if any belt collector wants one i have no doubt i would part with it.

Hope the above information helps, sorry i can not be more precise on dates.

Regards
Steve

Last edited by Ex Supt Clk RAOC; 01-10-22 at 01:18 PM.