View Single Post
Old 21-04-19, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Hi Brent

Thanks for the update. Any ideas when the three different badges arose?

John
Hi John,

I have been seeking the answer to that question for the last 10 years.
The only facts I can give are. –

On the 4th March 1911, Lieutenant Colonel William Malone sent the following sketch to the Officer Commanding the Wellington District for approval.
This was of course before the Regiments were re-numbered.

On the 23rd May 1911, Malone’s adjutant, Lieutenant Lampen sent a letter to the Assistant Adjutant General at District HQ, stating that “The cap & collar are to be the same, only that the collar badge should be a smaller badge (size) than the cap.

On the 17th July 1911, Malone’s adjutant, Captain Lampen sent another letter to the Assistant Adjutant General at District HQ, that included a “Rough sketch of badge for the 11th Regiment, also a photograph of the mountain, from which we desire the badge to be taken from.
Lampen went on to say “I have marked on the photo X, PHANTAMS PEAK, which should be preserved in the badge, as it is a distinct feature of the mountain, & a certain Taranaki sentiment attaches thereto.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate the original revised rough sketch or photo, but the photo would have been like this one.

General Godley, Officer Commanding the NZ Forces, approved the badge for the 11th Regiment (Taranaki Rifles) on the 24th July 1911.

Sadly the IV Battalion Wellington Taranaki Rifles Regiment badge and the XI Taranaki Rifles Regiment badge with honour scrolls still remain an enigma.
Until new evidence is brought to light, I can only speculate that Colonel Malone had the IV Battalion badges manufactured before approval was given regarding their design.

Were they ever worn; only photographic evidence will tell?
However it is possible they may have been allocated to a cadet unit attached to the 11th Regiment, as was done with the triple feather badge of the 13th Regiment, or it might have been as Craig has mentioned, issued to the 11th Territorial Regiment during WW1 due to the shortage of badges.