View Single Post
Old 24-07-08, 09:38 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinbelfast View Post
I'll try to get a clearer pic...the part that looks like HS is actually a side on anchor (showing it was from the Birmingham Assay Office) and the letter S in the script of 1942. I'd love to know the history behind it as I can't see a soldier having the money to commission such an item with the war time constraints of 1942!
"Ordinary" soldiers (as far as pay goes - they certainly were not ordinary in any other sense) probably wouldn't have, but there were still people around who would and could afford to do this - the class system still existed even those days and private means was not unusual.
For all that, I have still never seen a gold version of Pegasus. The only one I have ever seen was a really good quality HM silver Pegasus belonging to an officers wife in Dering Lines in the late 50's. Never seen a gold one.
I have seen a lot of wartime period HM's on gold and silver sweetheart brooches. I am sure my Gran would have loved to have been able to afford more eggs etc with the money that these things must have cost - you will have to excuse todays rant - its very stressful here.
Only thing I can add is that all of the gold ones I have seen so far have related to Cavalry regiments, the RAF, RFC, RN and one to the SAS.
its a very nice brooch.