Thread: Iraq levies
View Single Post
Old 01-09-10, 09:45 AM

Yes they did exist but I cant find any record of them serving in Palestine as a Iraq Levies unit.

I have discovered that in 1945 the Iraq Levies were reduced to 60 British officers and 1,900 other ranks and the RAF Regiment took over command of the Levies and Army personnel would gradually be replaced by RAF personnel.

During October 1946 the Iraq Levies battalions were were redesignated as Wings and Squadrons to conform to the RAF Regiment procedure.

I have worked out that the RAF Regiment from Iraq became the 1 Squadron RAF regiment (No. 1 Armoured Car Company) and arrived in Palestine from Habbaniya in 1946. The CO was Squadron Leader Deage. No. 1 Armoured Car Company incorporated into the RAF Regiment and re-numbered 2701 Squadron 3rd October 1946 at Quastina (Palestine).

Any other views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
The Iraq Levies continued in existence until 2 May 1955 when they were disbanded as the British withdrew from (scuttled out of) Iraq. At that point they were still some 500 strong and about 200 transferred to the Iraqi Army. The remainder were pensioned off.

So they certainly still existed while the Palestine 45-48 clasp was being earned.