View Single Post
Old 01-10-17, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
Wonderful collection Mark and a great way of organising them.

Can I ask what is the black material under the badges in each compartment?
No probs!

Each drawer has APC anti-spall/impact cushion material lining the bottom... so badges which are stored face up, all have their pins embedded and protected in that firm sponge material. Meanwhile, the badges which are stored face down (for quick identification of different variations), also have the benefit of being protected from scuffing on their face.

Just in case you wanted to know... the black (windowed) mats which form a border between each set, are made out of APC floor matting... which was carefully cut out with a Stanley knife and then overlaid on the backing foam mats (making a raised border between each set).

Having said that, if I ever have to do up another of these drawer sets... then I'll be going to a picture framer and asking to have cardboard mats cut up into pairs of 'windowed' overlay panels (probably using two such panels to a drawer). I'd probably also go to Clark Rubber or similar supplier for custom cut sheets of 15mm thick medium density foam (preferably in a green colour), to use as an underlay (to protect badges, whether stored face up or face down as required). I've also seen other people's collection with coloured cotton run between rows of foam embedded pins, so that a grid pattern is present between all displayed insignia sets.

Finally, I have found that secondhand furniture and office equipment dealers do sell plan draw sets fairly cheaply. A couple of hundred bucks should pick up a large 10 draw unit in good condition. The trick is to have a ute to transport the unit... because most station wagons are simply not going to be wide enough to handle the job properly. You will also need someone to help you to lug the unit into position when you arrive at your destination. Oh and a table or bench space which you are prepared to lose access to FOREVER, is required before the unit arrives... sitting the unit on the ground would be the pits.

I hope these ideas are a help to someone as well.

Happy researching and collecting all!

Mark Corcoran
corcoran@bigpond.net.au
charliebravobooks.com
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army”
Post 1953 (the QEII era) Vol 1 and Vol 2

Last edited by Mark Corcoran; 08-10-17 at 11:53 PM.