Thread: 42nd
View Single Post
Old 27-03-16, 08:43 AM

Whilst talking about the SNCO badge another point I was curious about was the use of the bi-metal badge across all the battalions from the creation of the Territorial Force in 1908. The 1st Btn had the "42" and the 2nd the "Jimmy" but did the other battalions not follow in the tradition of using a bi-metal badge for SNCOs? I have seen, or at least purported to be, bi-metal BW style Cyclist SNCO badges. However, I have seen very few "Jimmy" type bi-metal badges (this is the badge you would think the other battalions would use) other than those that are clearly officer. Of course probably the majority of "42" bi-metals are pre-TF (QVC) so I may be killing my argument.
As an aside would there have been more officers than SNCOs in the regiment anyway? And if they were private purchase only (?) would SNCOs, especially in wartime when the glengarry was not worn, have had the funds, or inclination, to buy one, hence their rarity?
Sorry, one more point, would recruiters (generally SNCOs), have tended to come from the regular battalions even in the war years, so they as long serving, tradition based soldiers would part with cash to have a prestigious badge that they could use on a daily basis?
Sorry, a lot of points in one post. But in conclusion is there any evidence to support the use of a bi-metal SNCO badge in the non-regular BW battalions?

Bryan