View Single Post
Old 23-05-11, 01:40 PM

Hi Dean. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have not been too well of late.
Yes, you are perfectly correct in thinking that "Dress Regs" only refer to Officers, and in any case these always seem to have been one step behind actual practice and not always strictly adhered to.
As far as ORs dress and badges, regulations re these are even more obscure and complex :
There are of course the Army Clothing Department (ACD) records, viz WO 359, but these only date from 1857 and again are not complete in every detail.
I can't say I know of any published extracts from these which are readily available except those which have appeared on the forum from time to time by members such as KLR. The original manuscripts are kept in the National Archives at Kew so of course are only available to those who have easy access (which I'm afraid doesn't include me any more).
Other sources that are even more remote include the various "General Orders" and "Memorandum" for the various dates concerned. The surviving originals for these are well scattered and hidden in the numerous WO files and letters in the NA and elsewhere (eg Regimental Museums) and are very difficult to locate, except those you see in the various Military Historical Journals occasionally after some "boffin" has published their research. However, for someone like yourself, I think this forum is as good a place as any to make your specific queries. Regards Jeff