Thread: Beds
View Single Post
Old 10-08-13, 04:24 AM

Default Register of Changes records on un-pierced forage cap badges.

I cannot provide proof one way of the other whether the Bedfordshire badge was produced un-pierced as a wartime economy measure.

However I can provide some circumstantial evidence that the non-piercing of badges may not have occurred other than for the R.A., R.E. & A.S.C.

In my research of the RACD Register of changes I have only made records of two entries for un-pierced forage cap badges. Those two are in vol 16 which covers the period 1 Jan 1915 – 31 Dec 1921.

Page 31 of that volume shows an entry 26 June 1916 approving the production of un-pierced badges for the R.A., R.E. & A.S.C. This entry is signed by the Chief Ordnance Officer at the time - J. Steevens. Later, on 18 Nov 1916, recorded on page 53 of the same volume is an entry saying that … “the result of adoption of un-pierced badges has been somewhat quicker delivery at slightly reduced cost. I do not consider that my requirements of these badges will, in future be so great as to warrant the continuation of what the units no doubt consider disfigurement of badges. ” the entry ends with “I assume I may order pierced badges & thus eliminate probable complaint”. The request is marked approved with the comment “The un-pierced badges were only [word eligible] a temporary emergency” you can see it is signed by the A.D.D.C , Q.M.G.(7). My images of these entries are below and note they cross reference each other.

I have found nothing else on un-pierced forage cap badges. It appears to me as if this means that the “experiment “ to supply R.A., R.E. & A.S.C un-pierced badges begun c. June 1916 did not prove very advantageous and was stopped from c. Nov 1916 onwards.

The reason why I emphasize the word ”may” in the second paragraph above is that all the above is not direct proof that un-piercing of forage cap badges did not extend beyond the corps above . I say this as unlike the recording of all GM pattern badges for some Infantry Badges I have seen nothing for all GM Cavalry badges in the Register of Changes – but apparently evidence may be available elsewhere such as contract documentation. Perhaps the same is true for un-pierced badges.

Julian I would love to see what you may have to say on the matter.

John

I would add that I have the highest respect for David Smith and buy from him from time to time. I have found him to be an honourable dealer.