Thread: Cleaning badges
View Single Post
Old 29-02-08, 07:43 AM

I agree with Paul, this should be a good discussion. I tend to gently clean my badges of all the crud that builds up in all the nooks and crannies. Ist thing I do is warm soap and water to soften up the gook then a gental scub with a soft toothbrush.

I might also us a squirt of Windex window cleaner with amonia. This cleans off the oils, cuts through nicotin, dirt and brightens the gilt w/o affecting the finish. That's it for me. My father maintains that in real life most badges were meant to be bright so he slightly polishes his badges It drives me crazy, and I don't leave ANYTHING with Pops as it's lible to be nice and shiney if I'm not attentive. Now he doesn't use brasso or any abrasives or anything like that, he favours a dash of Windex with ammonia then a swipe with Never Dull cotton cleaner.

We've agreed to disagree and I've asked that all the really rare officers material be left alone so that when I inheirit it (hopefully a long time form now) it wont be damaged. He's agreed but it costs me a bottle of single malt each time he visits

Greg