View Single Post
Old 07-05-21, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
I think there's a case for expanding the Indian section a little. I'd suggest by time periods, e.g.
pre-1903
1903-1922
1922-1947
post 1947

As to the issue of number of posts, it's possible that expanding the categories might actually generate more posts.

Having said that, I'm fine with the status quo as well.
For some it will be of no surprise that I warn to be careful using 1947 as an important date for badge collecting (on the subcontinent). It might be the year for independence, but the units of both armies that evolved from it were still much the same, having the same regiments and corps (allbeith many companies were exchanged to sort out the so called "classes"). Special the infantry and cavalry (armoured) regiments lived on with the same titles and subtitles (including Royal and Prince of Wales's, etc.). King George VI was still head of state of both countries. As a result most badges stayed also the same.

It is only when India became a republic in 1950 and Pakistan became a republic in 1956 that the changes in designations and badges emerged.

In short, not 1947, but 1950 resp. 1956 are the important dates for badge collectors.

And about the original subject. I assume that it is not the place in the rank of sub-forums or the number of posts that influences the number of eager collectors, but that it is the other way around. The number of collectors will influence the number of posts. After all the name "British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum" is clear enough. And once someone with interest in British India/India/Pakistan found it, (s)he will not have much problems finding the correct place for her/his questions within the forum.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages