View Single Post
Old 11-05-19, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Hi Lee, thank you for posting these, its only when you get to see a number of different collections that you can see the types of variations that exist.

This one just arrived in the mail box on Friday, it was another purchase off Ebay and came out of Canada and was being sold as a "New Zealand, Machine Gun Corps Headquarters Cloth Formation Flash."

It is of course not a NZMGC star patch, but it is a No.4 NZ Light Trench Mortar Batteries patch, which I am missing from my collection.
The only concerns that I had when purchasing it was its size as the circle only measured 1 and a 1/2 inches across, and the black felt square measured 1 and 3/4 inches square.
So it is slightly smaller to my other 3 patches as can be seen below.

The Regulations (No.416) however are pretty precise when it come to dimensions as can be seen below.

Now it could be said that it is just coincidence that it looks like a New Zealand WW1 patch, and may be a Canadian boy scout patch for all we know.
However the material the patch is made from is an exact match to others that are in my collection.
Also at the last meeting of the Wellington Militaria Collectors Club another member turned up with the following patches which also came out of Canada, and the NZMGC stars as well the other NZLTM patches also measure at 1 and 3/4 inches square.

However I do have a credible answer as to why these miniature patches exist, and will post further on the subject.
I've found that regulations are quite often incomplete, sometimes wrong and often the sizes are not exactly the same.