View Single Post
Old 10-05-21, 11:57 AM

Sadly, Khyber is correct about researching Other ranks in the Indian Army: the chances are about nil. And that goes double for State Forces, as those records likely went into the trach when each state was amalgamated into India [mostly in the 1950s and 1960s].

I began collecting single I.G.S, medals in the early 1980s and those named to Indians were going for little more than the value of the silver because they were 'unresearchable'. Because of the odd nature of the Indian Army, records were kept at the regimental level, not in a central repository. On Independence, the regiments were split up between India and pakistan and, as you can imagine, preserving piles of paper from the colonial period was hardly high on most people's list. I had a chum who actually went to India to research, in the '80s and said that the archives had bird nests and mice in every room. But every hour somebody brought him a cup of tea!

All that said, its lovely to see what is very cleatrly a group indicating considerable service. Thanks for sharing it and sorry I can't be more helpful or hopeful.

Peter