View Single Post
Old 07-03-21, 01:52 PM

Default Commonwealth War Graves Part II - CAREY

Further to my recent post on becoming a volunteer for the CWGC - and becoming "responsible" for 20 cemeteries and 74 graves. I thought I'd share a "success" with you. The last grave I found required three visits and a fair deal of research despite having the mans details - Lance Corporal George Edward Carey - 503rd Field Company Royal Engineers Serial Number 128 - Killed on 4 Jan 1916. The reason it was so difficult to find was that is was a private memorial long fallen into disrepair and the name was no longer legible. The last part is the critical one, for as previously stated the CWGC will not intervene in a private memorial as long as the name of the "war grave" is still legible. Having photographed the grave and filled in the required paperwork - I was told that it would be "passed to the Regional Manager for assessment". I had no expectation that anything would be done other than it be "noted" - however less than a month later I found out that there is a local search going on for surviving relatives to inform them that the CWGC is producing a headstone for Lance Corporal Carey and later this year it will be erected over his grave. I now feel as if I have a proprietary interest in his grave and will be there for the stone raising if allowed. I subsequently found this:
Casualty of the First World War, George was a Lance Corporal with 503rd Field Company, The Royal Engineers, service #128
He was 39 and the son of Samuel Joseph and Hester Carey. He left a widow, Lizzie Harvey Carey of 1 New Buildings, Strode Road, Clevedon, and four children.
Lance Corporal Carey died as a result of a tragic accident at Exeter, whilst serving with the Wessex Engineers. He fell down a flight of steps leading to the basement of the Grapes Inn, South Street. He had worked for 26 years as a compositor at Clevedon Printing Works. His funeral took place on Saturday 8th January 1916 with full military honours, his body being transported from Exeter on a Royal Field Artillery gun carriage.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1481 (2).jpg (117.4 KB, 46 views)