View Single Post
Old 15-11-20, 12:05 PM

Question BL QVC Badges

There are a few threads/posts about these but there also appears to be some gaps in the details.

These badges have been worn by BLVPF (British Legion Volunteer Police Force) , Bandsmen , Standard Bearers and Car Parking/Attendants (including security/Commissionaires).

Large 26mm Lion

British Legion badges initially came in two sizes 26mm and a miniature 7mm x 9mm one. Gaunt had the contract from 1921-1928 then Birmingham Medal Company took over until the smaller 20mm size was introduced in 1945/1946 when Gaunt got the contract back.

The BLVPF badge has a long/thin/tapered slider but there is one version which is unmarked and another with (Reg.Design) 684409 stamped (curved) on slider. I have not seen any with a makers mark.

Q: The BLVPF badges were made in 1938 when the Birmingham Medal Company had the contract for BL badges , so why two different sliders ?

There is also another standard slider (unmarked) version which I assumed was for Bandsmen until I came across a 1937 British Legion Headquarters 'Price List' which includes separate prices for 'Standard Bearers' and 'Bandsmens Cap'. As the BLVPF badges were a one off 'special issue' they probably would not appear on any price list.

Q: As "most" Standard Bearers wore bowler hats what would the badge be for and was it the QVC version ?

I have not seen the 'Large Lion' on a lugged QVC badge , anyone got/seen one ?

NB. The price list is only for BL items , so I assume BLWS would have their own list. Also I can find no photographic evidence the female standard bearers ever wore a QVC badge.

Small 20mm Lion

The 20mm badge was introduced in 1945/1946 when Gaunt got the contract back.

Bandsman badge , standard slider with Gaunt makers mark + letter B and (member) number.

Bandmaster (?) badge , 'silver' with short slider , no makers mark.

Hat badge , lugged with letter H and (member) number , no makers mark.

Hat/Beret badge , lugged with no makers mark/letter/number.

Q: Were the badges with no letters simply "general issue" ones which could be worn by any of the groups ?

Womens Section QVC badge , although there are a couple of photos (front view only) of this badge I can find no information about it being an 'official' issue. The photos show the 'new' small 20mm badge (side arms rather than top scroll) which was introduced after a vote at the 1946 25th Anniversary Women's Section Conference.

Q: Was this simply a locally modified version of the QVC badge or is it a fantasy item made by a dealer ? (I have made one by replacing the 'male' center with the center of a female beret badge ).

So , more questions than answers , any contributions/suggestions are welcome and if I have made any errors please point them out.

Thank you.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted