View Single Post
Old 25-10-18, 03:02 PM

Many thanks, Mike. It is very good of you to go to the trouble of checking your notes.

I looked at the 1917 and 1919 surveys, and the attached illustrations are my impression of helmet patches worn. I also looked at a handful of photos; the 2/9th image was based on information provided by 'Jelly Terror' from a portrait at Davies Street.
Next to these images of helmet patches I also inserted the 'glazed cotton' patches that I wondered about. I did this just to get an idea, but I accept that it does not stand as firm evidence yet. Apologies, perhaps I should have started the thread with this information, but I originally thought I would just enquire about the patches themselves.
I have also added any info I could find about insignia painted on helmets in the 58th Division. It is a work in progress so I have not added the sources or dates yet. I thought that if I could confirm that these 'glazed cotton' patches were indeed worn on helmets, it would help to make this picture a lot more solid. Many thanks again for your thoughts and help with this.

Chris

56th Division
Attachment 195918

58th Division
58th Div II.jpg

Last edited by Drew; 14-11-18 at 11:49 AM.