View Single Post
Old 12-07-20, 08:36 PM

Default Die Struck or Cast?

I obtained this die a while back and assumed it was part of the die striking process to make a shoulder title much like the one in picture #1. As I sat and thought about it I realized that it was not as straight forward as I thought. If this was the male die to strike a shoulder title then the back of the title would look "die struck". That is to say it would be hollow on the back. Also there would be a female die out there somewhere that would be the other half of this process.

All of the similar format shoulder titles (XXX / Canada) that I have seen are solid back or flat back. So the only way I can see that this device would be useful in the process would be as a master to make an indentation into a molding medium, such as sand, as a prelude to pouring a cast title.

So my question is this. Are all of the similar format shoulder titles and C / overs cast and not die struck? If I have chased this down the wrong hole here can somebody set me straight?

I guess the follow on question would be is it technically possible to die strike a flat backed badge like a collar or cap? I think it could be possible, but may be more challenging to get right. Or are all flat backed badges cast?
Thank you
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1 First Canadian "die".jpg (42.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg #2 "Die" angle.jpg (55.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg #3 "Die" side.jpg (52.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg #4 "Die" relief.jpg (54.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg #5 "Die" face.jpg (53.6 KB, 33 views)