View Single Post
Old 22-03-20, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
That sort with the crossed over rigging, deep chunky centre and fat wings has been discussed on the forum before and I’ve seen them sold as copies. I believe them to be a lesser seen repro and am not seeking one for my own collection.
Is there conclusive evidence that this pattern is a fake? You are right that the pattern itself has been copied and much poorer quality examples exist.

I have several examples, with lugs and unmarked sliders and they all appear to have the same die flaws. I've documented these for future reference as I'm not certain this has been done previously on the forum.(See attached)

The badges themselves are thick and well struck, with good detail front and rear, and the feathers have a very well defined raised lip on the bottom edge. (Clearer pics of both types attached)

I have had all mine many years and only paid nominal sums for them. If fake I would say they are fairly vintage.

They are definitely a cut above the pointy wing tip/die flaw/square feather variants.

Hopefully this will be the last time I mention hard sliders Agree that hard sliders and good metalworking do not equal an original badge. The point I was making (not very well) was that if certain badges do not have these, the chances are they've fallen at the first hurdle. You only have to look at the Smith & Wright example, in the fake marks pic in post #10, which is appalling.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slidered KC Obverse.jpg (41.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Lugged KC.jpg (37.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Lugged KC DIE FLAWS.jpg (38.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Lugged KC DIE FLAWS Detail.jpg (56.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by pontecagnano; 22-03-20 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Forum software resized die flaws image reducing clarity so have added detail image