View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Jones & Jason Ltd mark is fake. The exact same arial font is seen on a multitude of duff badges with numerous obscure and even bogus manufacturers and outfitters names.
Most modern maker marked genuine badges use a similar san serif font and from a typographical perspective only the kerning varies. Some makers use wider spacing than others. IMO the presence of san serif font on the slider is not a reliable indicator that a badge is fake.

I stand by my comment that the slider is good as it's thick and very hard brass. The jury is out on the maker mark given the limited evidence for Jones & Jason as a badge manufacturer. There are a few threads regarding this on the Forum. There does seem to be some evidence that they manufactured badges for a while, in Birmingham, post WWII. The most common suspect marks on SAS and Parachute Regiment beret badges, other than anodised, seem to be the 15mm Gaunt with a dot (definitely one to avoid in my opinion), JR Gaunt, Jones & Jason, Smith and Wright, Grove Manufacturing and Marples & Beasley. I believe it's a matter of record that genuine brass sliders from some of the above makers have been purchased in bulk and creatively applied to fake badges.

For the record, I believe the SAS white metal beret badge illustrated is a fake, albeit a not particularly common one. In addition to the previously mentioned flaws, the slider is not in the right place and the brazing looks a little fresh.

Graham