View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 08:06 PM

Default RN Cap Tallies. Help sought.

Hi again Paul

I'm afraid that your piece of blank ribbon is just that - a piece of blank ribbon!

I'll tell you about the ML tallies later if I may.

I'll tell you a bit about the history of the RN cap tally first if I may - well a first instalment at least!

Sailors were wearing cap ribbons by the 1840s. On the 13th october 1850 a contract was awarded for a new pattern of black hat for ratings - the first to normally bear a ship's name. At this time ships names were normally painted on cap ribbons. Contemporary photographs of ratings suggest that cap ribbons were often much wider than those in use today and that the ship's name appeared in large lettering without the 'H.M.S.' prefix. Some captains, at their own expense, had the cap ribbons embroidered instead of painted.

A cap tally of 1852 in the possession of the National Maritime Museum bears the name 'FOX' without the 'H.M.S.' prefix but with a depiction of a fox's head before and after the name. The tally is made of silk and the name of the ship and its emblem have been painted and gilded. The tally is 37mm wide. See image below.

It was not until 1857, when the first "Uniform Regulations for Petty Officers, Seamen and Boys" were published, that "hat ribbons bearing the ship's name" were officially recognised. Although the regulations did not specify how the ribbons were to be marked, it was customary for sailors to paint on the name of their ships in large capitals.

When the Royal Naval Reserve was first formed in 1859 ratings were not issued with any uniform. However, in 1864 they were issued with a blue uniform cap with a tally bearing the initials 'R.N.R.'

When gilt wire lettering was officially introduced in February 1868, it had already been adopted by Commander Philip R. Sharpe RN of H.M.S. Waterwitch, who had bought such ribbons from Thomas Stevens of Coventry and was issuing them to his ship's company at one shilling each (National Archive, Adm. 1/6045 No. A 399). The commander received permission for his stock to be taken on charge officially. In the same year ribbons with letters woven in silk were submitted for issue. The Controller of Victualling reported against their issue as an article of seaman's clothing and gilt woven ribbons were adopted for issue instead. These were initially only to stationary ships and ironclads , about 1 1/2 % of crew at first to be provided for (Index 18041 Admiralty Correspondence). The tally for the Stationary Coast Guard Training Vessel H.M.S. Humber, c.1876, is shown below.

I'll continue with the next bit later! Sorry if it's a bit boring!

Pete