View Single Post
Old 07-07-14, 01:15 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The simple fact is there was no WO order of all brass Lincolnshire badges as shown in the National Archives.

As for the brass badge shown it would appear to be an Officers' collar 'pattern' but is clearly no collar with that badge. I wuld suspect that a collar die has been found and used to create a fantasy badge by adding a slider.
I agree.

I do have the above badge that started this thread with a bronze like finish, that one was worn during WW1 by a 3rd Battalion officer. I have always remained very sceptical about it because sometimes group lots get items added to them, to spice them up. When I spoke with another collector who used to own the group, if he could remember a badge being with the lot, it he declined to answer. Since I can find no photograph of the officer concerned I still have no concrete proof.

Secondly if you want to see a standard patters badge, being worn by an officer on as part of a cuff rank uniform have a look inside the history of the 5th Battalion. There is a good officer portrait in there with it as clear as day. The officer wears no collar insignia.

A number of years ago I did own one of these badges and foolishly sold it. When trying to sell it I distinctly remember the sharp intake of breath from the dealer concerned, as if I was ripping him off. In the end, to follow through with the sale he had scratch it with a pair of scissors. he must of wanted to check for nickel I can only assume.