View Single Post
Old 30-07-11, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb RMC sweetheart pins

Thanks for the welcome and the insight into sweetheart pins, David.

I didn't realize that miniature regimental/corps badges (designed to be given to sweethearts) existed. The ones you pointed out are lovely.

The wives of ex-cadets that I interviewed spoke of being given 'sweetheart pins' by their dates in the 1950-70s. I have seen photos of women wearing ball gowns and pins in or near their corsages at the College balls.

The relative large & cute RMC pins produced as fundraisers for the regular balls e.g. Fall/Xmas denoted that the couple were dating/sweethearts while the Graduation ball pins and Mil College pin were given in the context of a more formal promise to marry e.g. in the short period after the couple graduated (e.g. RMC/Queen's/KGH nursing school) and before they moved for military training/first posting.

Since officers & nurses wore uniforms at the time, jewlery would have been modest e.g. this charm depicting the RMC Memorial Arch and a simple gold wedding ring. Most of the couples I spoke to mentioned that they had very small weddings and short/no honeymoons and could not afford anything extravagant. I'd love to see more 'sweetheart pins.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMC silver charm.JPG (7.4 KB, 1 views)