View Single Post
Old 12-09-18, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
I have been trying to identify the badge worn by Capt. Erickson, Lt. Sayer and Lt. Ripley former members of SOE in Burma, according to the caption. Lt Elliott is wearing what I would say is a tiger on a two-coloured patch (Indian Command of some kind). Finally, Lt. Sayer and WO1 Cato are wearing the Supreme Allied Command South East Asia patch on their right sleeve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaffords View Post
The shoulder flash is a tiger on a red and white background as worn in the picture is the 34th Indian Corps. Force 136 (SOE) was resulting under this corps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Jo, the badges on the service caps look like Canadian Intelligence Corps to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Six members of the Special Operations Executive (British Army), returning from duty in Burma and Southeast Asia aboard H.M.T. QUEEN ELIZABETH, New York, New York, United States, 20 February 1946.

(L-R): Lieutenant S.R. Elliott, Captain A.G. Erickson, Lieutenant J.F. Sayer, Sergeant G.W. Carroll (M.B.E.), Lieutenant E.J. Ripley, Warrant Officer First Class (WO1) S.A. Cato.

BTW,none of these officers and NCOs are in the CD ROM Courage And Service, Second World War Awards to Canadians (with Hugh Halliday). Service Publications,2004.

I've been able to identify two other soldiers in the photograph, both are Canadian. Along with Lt. Elliot, Lt. Ed Ripley and WO I A.S. (Tony) Kato (with a "K") were graduates of the Canadian Army's S20 Japanese Language School in Vancouver and members of the Canadian Intelligence Corps. Kato was an instructor at the School.

In 1944, three graduates of the School, including Kato, were sent to S.E. Asia to work in the Psychological Warfare Division of Force 136. Kato was a WO II at the time, and was promoted to WO I in theatre. Apparently he refused a commission.

During 1945 approximately 50 more members of the CIC of all ranks who were graduates of the School were sent, including Elliot and Ripley. They also became members of the Psychological Warfare Division of Force 136. Ed Ripley went to Saigon via Kandy, and Elliot went to Batavia (now Djakarta). Post-war, their duties included printing articles and making radio broadcasts to keep the Japanese POW's awaiting repatriation in line.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that all six soldiers in the photograph are Canadian, and that Capt. Erickson and Lt. Sayer are also both CIC. Sgt. Carroll (M.B.E.) may not have been found on Courage and Service because his name was misspelled. Elliot and Kato's names were incorrect in the photo's caption.

Cheers,
Dan.