View Single Post
Old 01-06-20, 11:34 AM

The image in the first post is from "War Illustrated" and the original photograph sold on eBay about 5 years ago for around £60 if i recall correctly.. This is the only known example of this badge that has ever existed, and it was only used in this picture.

It has no link outside of the ROC at all.

The observer in the image is wearing a "Head Observer Badge" on his left pocket, if this is strictly adhering to the rules of uniform wear then the image must date between April 1942 and March 1944. April 1942 is when the ROC were issued with that style of uniform and March 1944 is when Chief and Leading Observer rank badges were issued and Head Observers were required to remove the "Head Observer Badge" and replace it with the familiar sleeve rank badges.

My gut feeling is that it predated the end of 1943 though as the printed spitfire master test badges were introduced in Dec. 1943 so why go to the effort of making one of these when the 'correct badge' could be used?

I do have a copy of the war illustrated that this was published in, so can narrow the date down further, alas it is in lockdown 200(ish) miles away from me so I cannot find the exact date at the moment.

John's image is a screen shot from the original picture sold on eBay and Dave is correct (not that you need me to tell you that!) that the image in the Osprey book is based on this photograph - indeed the drawing was used on a Burundi postage stamp if I recall correctly.

Finally - there is a second image taken at the same time (same photo-shoot) by someone for Associated Press - this is much clearer and from a slightly better angle IMO. (I have attached it for reference).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2 (2).jpg (60.6 KB, 56 views)