View Single Post
Old 16-01-18, 01:47 AM

In Sqn Ldr Lamond's official document "History of the Air Training Corps 1938-1983" Ch1 the lapel badges are described to as being crownless.

However, importantly, on the left-to-right chronological sequence of small lapel insignia line-drawings, it shows large VR titles; crowned ATC crests; medium VRT titles.

I also believe that I have seen both types of ATC gilt crests (crowned and uncrowned) both in photographs and as physical examples, though obviously instances of either are extremely rare.

That document also disagrees with both of our understandings as to dates for changes in types of badge. It states brass lapel VRs (plus cloth ATCs) 1941-1947; brass lapel ATC crests 1947-49; brass lapel VRTs 1949-1983 (or, effectively, 2018....but they are still being worn by AEF pilots).

I don't agree with the document's dates, I could be wrong about that, but...I do have full extracts from the relevant official AIR memos from Kew, somewhere....so, I can at least settle for certain the date when the VRTs were introduced (and perhaps more)