View Single Post
Old 11-05-22, 08:53 AM

Sorry, let me be clearer.

The MiD and MC were different awards. The MC an "immediate" at Anzio, the MiD in Germany (for a very similar action - he was an RA FOO). I have the Gazette entries for both as well as the letter from Buck House lamenting that the MC could not be presented in person.

He got the France and Germany Star (I have the full size and miniature versions as part of his complete medal sets) and that is where he got the MiD (in early 1945). He also go the Defence Medal (which again, I have) - I had to do some research on this, but think he qualifed due to his time in the UK pre & post Dunkirk (where he was involved in the evacuation) as well as in Iraq (pre-North Africa with 8th Army).

Just wondering why the latter 3 medal ribbons are not represented on the BD blouse. I guess it could be as simple as it was worn in theatre in 1944-45 before the France and Germany, Defence Medal and War Medal were issued - but I thought that only gallantry medals and the Africa/Italy campaign medals had been issued at that point and not the 39/45 Star...

There is also no obvious sign that formation badges have been removed - and there are none attached. A 1945 dated caricature that I have of him clearly shows a 'desert rat' on one shoulder - but it also looks like he's wearing an SD jacket, breeches and riding boots so it may be less than reliable as a historic record!