View Single Post
Old 09-04-20, 07:55 AM

I'm certainly not demanding anything, so just to be absolutely clear, you are saying that officers of both regiments of Life Guards and then The Life Guards, as well as the Royal Horse Guards and subsequently the Blues and Royals all wore gilt and enamel caps with the title of their particular regiment upon them on their forage caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
No Frank, I don’t personally possess any images of the badges in use, and you are demanding something quite difficult to do. As I’ve tried to explain, first of all they existed for a short time, in very small numbers. Second, colour photography did not exist at the time they were in wear. Few portrait photos were taken of an officer in undress headdress (except frock costs), as they very naturally preferred the splendour of full dress. The same applies to oil paintings, and in both cases the focus of the image was invariably on the man and not his cap badge. I’ve taken notes of things I’ve seen and read, but I don’t have something I can present to you and say here is proof. We are talking about a period spanning a hundred years. You’re entitled to your opinion, but I’m not going to argue with you.