View Single Post
Old 17-10-16, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Keith, when do you think the photograph was taken? Is he wearing blackened titles? I assume the 1915 taken detail is wrong. Do you have any idea how many were sent to Bovington? Sorry for all the questions but I find it fascinating, thanks for answers so far, best wishes Mike
No problems Mike, this photo must have been taken after he returned to Australia in 1918 and was posted to the Home Service establishment. As I mentioned he never rose above the rank of Private while he was in the AIF.

I couldn't tell you how many men were involved - what was tank crew in those days, 8 I think? These were probably all unfit for active service and were to be returned home in any case so they were given training in tank maintenance and driving and came back to Australia with the vehicle. No doubt as soon as the war finished the tank was packed up and the blokes discharged.

The AUSTRALIA titles were manufactured in oxidised copper, i.e., blackened, in Australia, no doubt several metals and finishes were used in any stocks supplied abroad.

Keith