View Single Post
Old 16-10-16, 12:25 PM

Hi Keith, my understanding was that they were lucky to get the tanks in 1930 and all the equipment appears to be British. Certainly the black berets were sent by the RTC and in the photo's of them with the tanks at Ranwick in Feb 1930 they appear to be wearing the British tank suit( forerunner of British BD). Neither they or Penfold appear to wear an arm badge. I don't know when the AC were issued with arm badges but the earliest picture I've seen is 2nd Armoured Brigade in 1942, but I'm sure it was well before that. The armoured car regiments had metal arm badges but you probably already know that. Which brings us back to the brilliant photo of the tank arm badge. It is what I would call the typical issue 1st WW tank arm badge though I know of it being used in 1938. What is the colour badge? I'm assuming it's not 1st WW or could it be a TC battalion flash worn by him as he was attached to a tank unit maybe at the battles of Hamel or Amiens? I bow to you as an expert on Australian Badges but the only three colour flashes I know of that fit the bill were tank flashes. Food for thought and thanks for an interesting picture, best wishes Mike