View Single Post
Old 29-01-08, 05:02 AM

Default Shoulder titles

Hi Greg,

I consider the woven cloth (artificial silk) title the only legit, field worn type. It is present in wartime photos I have, it is the only "used" title I see in veteran collections (and I personally know and have talked with dozens of 1CACR vets, my own father being one) and I have never seen a legit BD with anything but this type of title. A very nice melton/embroidered version of this title does appear in some veteran collections, which by recollection and a vague notation in the 1CACR war Diary was distributed just days before disbandment in June of 1945. I don't think all troops received them and as stated I have never seen a worn example of the melton title (though I do have one that exhibits signs of being sewn to something at one point)

... you want to see "worn" see my attached scan. As you can see the flimsy woven cloth title did not hold up well in the field. It was difficult to sew on the uniform, many troopers added a cloth or cardboard backing to stiffen it. and the colours faded. the unused example is a brilliant orange. After exposure to the elements the titles fade to a dull orange-red.

Everything else is repro and there is many, many different repros of this title including a fantasy canvas variety.

I am working on a very comprehensive article on the unit's insignia with Bill Alexander, hopefully I have it edited soon. I am bogged down with my day job right now.

I have an interesting photo of a bullion Kangaroo blazer patch photo that one of Officer's owns. It was an immediate postwar period purchase, I will post tomorrow if I have time.

Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bevos_Front.jpg (66.8 KB, 52 views)