Thread: Royal Sussex
View Single Post
Old 09-07-19, 09:56 PM

Hi Pete, David and all,

Yes, you are correct this is a Mess Waiter's button to the 35th (Royal Sussex) Regiment of Foot.

I also have a similar large open backed button with the same backmark which is 26.8mm in diameter. I have also seen a picture of a smaller version of the same button as well.

There is also a large Gilt version of the same button, which is on my 'wants list', which is believed to have been in use prior to the Silvered version.

Though as with most Mess Waiter buttons, as they were paid for out of Mess funds etc. and were to the Regiments own design, rather than an official (approved) design, there is very little accurate info on patterns/designs and periods of use.

A very nice Mess Waiter's button and not one you see very often. I am not surprised there was a lot on interest in it.

The second pair of buttons Pete showed are indeed as he stated the standard Mess Waiters buttons for the Royal Sussex Regiment. They are probably amongst the largest Mess Waiter buttons found with the large buttons generally having a diameter of 29-30mm, against the 25-26mm of most large sized mess waiter buttons.

Cheers and thanks for showing it.

Ian