View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Here is a superb photo showing your badge being worn, it is clear that the cypher is embossed and not mounted.

Yes, I believe that gilt on gilt is more rare.

While officers had embroidered cap badges on their forage caps other ranks had a solid metal grenade badge. Privates had a plain smooth brass grenade, but Quartermasters, Warrant Officers and Sergeants had royal cyphers either in brass of silver.
1. Commissioned Quartermaster's forage cap badge. Gilt with silver crown and Victorian reversed cypher.
2. Staff Sergeant's gilt badge with Victorian reverse cypher. No crown.
3. Sergeant's gilt badge with Edward VII crown and cypher. 1902-1910.
4. Warrant Officer's gilt badge with Edward VII crown and cypher in silver. 1902-1910.
5. Warrant Officer's gilt badge with George V crown and cypher. 1910-1936.

NB. It seems likely to me that following the significant changes to uniform in 1902 (SD and new pattern forage caps, etc) the commissioned quartermasters ceased wearing their special metal badge and adopted the same bullion wire badge as other officers.
I have the first image ( the actual page ) and cant tell clearly wether the cypher is mounted or struck ?! Up until 1911 i believe the Quartermaster wore plain clothes and had a No.1 dress for which he wore the cocked hat with. From what i have read he didn't have any other headdress. The badge image info i have seen, do you know where they got their info from ? as again this differs from K & K. So the badge at the beginning of this thread is no.5 ?
Andy