View Single Post
Old 19-07-10, 02:57 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile Crimea Photos.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the great photos, l have been through my library on the Crimea, one of my favourite subjects, and have found a copy of the group photo in The British Army of the Crimea by JBR Nicholson from the Osprey Men at Arms series.

The group photo is of the "Officers of the 39th (the Dorsetshire) Regiment of Foot, the caption reads as follows (the standing figures are numbered 1 to 5 from left to right) "All in this group wear the scarlet shell piped with white and with green collar and cuffs and the twisted gold shoulder cords. Undress trousers have red welts. All wear the undress black leather belts and are wearing or carrying white gloves, and all carry telescopes over their left shoulder. The Adjutant (?), No2 has steel scabard, the colonel, No 3, would have brass. Note that the colonel and No 1 wear "Balaclava" jackets. Their forage caps of blue with black band and peak of patent leather has 39 in gold on the front, although No 5 seems to have an additional badge, possibly the light company bugle horn above the numeral"

Unfortunately the officers are not named and the photo has no credit as do all the other photos in the book.

I hope that this helps, keep up the good work guys.

Cheers

Phil.