Thread: QC Devonshire
View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 06:05 AM

I have been trying to understand the Infantry Officers section of K&K vol 2, it seems to say that the full dress uniform never returned after the end of the first war, but it mentions the forage cap, in the case of the Devonshire Regiment it doesn't show an illustration because its virtually the same as the other ranks version except its "gilt or gilding metal" on a "silver" star and castle, on a blue velvet ground.

I presume the coloured forage cap for Officers and other ranks introduced in the 1930s was private purchase, so the badges would vary in quality depending on where you bought them and how much you paid, and theoretically any rank could purchase a silver and gilt plated badge?

How big was the blue velvet ground, just a small piece behind the castle or large enough to show around the outer edges?

Would two lugs be correct for this piece of headgear, in which case many so called Edwardian badges could be for this purpose?

So I'm starting to think this is a forage cap badge and I'm wondering if any of my other bi metal badge variants could be as well?

Rob