View Single Post
Old 23-01-08, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Characteristics

Hello Bill et al.,
The Prince Rupert Regt MG badges have not been documented as well as the 1 CACR badges. Many of the reproductions are obvious fakes, and can be easily determined by casting rather than stamped production, poor quality strikings, unusual lugs, and no overlay. (Badges without the overlay exist, but in my opinion are either repro's, broken or unfinished.) The repros that were around about 20 years ago have mostly disappeared and are not easily found. They may be place holders in collections or may be held in collections as actual examples. And, some of these were good copies and will cause confusion when offered to the market again.
One characteristic I would look for on an authentic example is the Birks hallmark on the reverse. Ed Denby sealed such a badge at his auction years ago and certified it as authentic. I am not even sure how many manufacturers made the badge, but with the scarcity, only one run seems likely. I believe this badge is even scarcer than the Garrison Battalion. (Mazeas indicates that the Garrison Battalion plastic badge is post 1945. If I understand that notation correctly, it would indicate that Mazeas is indicating the plastic badge is reproduction/fantasy. The Garrison Battalion was long before disbanded.)
Perhaps this string would be a good place to list the characteristics of the correct Prince Rupert badge for collectors?
And I have attached an image of one of the most scarce pieces of Canadian army cloth. A khaki slip-on to the Prince Rupert Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUPERT-3 resized.JPG (90.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg prince rup mg regt.jpg (78.5 KB, 45 views)