View Single Post
Old 03-08-09, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
The picture mentioned stood beside the Rough Rider* has the AIRBORNE strip under the pegasus. [*Joining 1st ABN July 42 as No.1 AL LAA Bty RA (C of L Yeo) (TA)] This dates that pic from July 42 - May 44 when AIRBORNE flash was removed for the invasion of Europe.
Doubtful that the RA-AT title lasted post invasion.
Sorry. Nowhere in my post above does it mention Glider pilots or anyone other than airborne artillery! This discussion is about RA Anti Tanks and I brought up RA LAA (rough riders) as that photo was mentioned. It is these units that I was talking about regarding removal of the AIRBORNE strip.
My information came from letters in my posession from the Earl of Hardwicke regarding the insignia and roll of the Roughriders and some diaries and photos of members of the 2nd Oban, 300th AT and 3rd AL AT Bty. The Anti tank Bty's where ordered to remove the Airborne strip and they did.

Can we please keep the thread on the subject that it is on and not degenerate into a which units wore Airborne strips after the official order for removal and who didn't thread.

Last edited by tynesideirish; 03-08-09 at 06:59 PM.