View Single Post
Old 12-04-19, 09:36 AM

I think that there is a fine line between collecting and obsessive hoarding that I struggle with. I have specific collecting interests that I try to adhere to but, as I get offered "job lots" of militaria by several house clearance people, I find it hard to stick to them, particularly if there are items that are scarce or unusual. Consequently, I have quite a few collecting themes, some of which are growing at a very slow rate, others much faster. I also find that acquiring an item outside my usual interest tends to provoke research, background reading and a strong desire not to part with the item.

The downside of buying "job lots" from house clearances is that you cannot be too picky in refusing items that are offered as there is a queue of people behind you who will gladly change places. So, while I get a few items that are not so desirable and which I will sell on, I get a few outstanding items that I could not afford if they were on dealer's lists.

I am most interested in the story that an item tells and have become quite obsessive about keeping other related items such as, letters, paperwork and photographs together.

I think that I am a true collector but my Mrs thinks that I am a hoarder.