View Single Post
Old 14-09-18, 05:06 PM

I notice on the full box its says " Rayon ",I wonder if the WW2 Cap Tally is Silk or Rayon ? We should also remember that large stocks of these tallies had to be kept because in time of war they would have been issued straight away.I notice on the cap talley thread HMS Northella (HMS Soberton ) was mentioned .I was actually serving on HMS Soberton in 1982 when the Argentinians invaded the Falklands,it was a pretty surreal atmosphere as no one ever thought there would be a war and no one could really remember one from the Skipper down to me the lowest OD,me.We were off Scotland and were ordered to go to Hull.I transferred gear from the Soberton to the Northella,signalling flags and pennants,etc, and have the Ships Ensign (Flag) that was lowered as everything was transferred that day.I really wanted to go to the Falklands but as I was only 17 years old I was sent back to HMS Dryad ,DDOOOOHHHH,I very much fancied just stowing away and appearing after the Northella had left Ascension Island,what could they do,but 3 Badge Able Seaman Eck Napier (Top Bloke) talked me out of it.Happy Days

I have 2 more Time Capsule Groups,one to Able Seaman Jolley who served on HMS Bullolo and HMS Patroller in WW2 (massive collection including Coller and Deck Hockey Shirt and dotted RNVR South Africa Talley) and another to an AB who went to HMS Saker,the RN base in New York in WW2.I also have pre war dotted tallies for HMS King George V (WW1) and HMS Cairo lost when torpedoed off Bizerta in August 1942.