View Single Post
Old 03-01-20, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
Could anyone give me the background to the woven type of WW1 AIF Battalion Patches? They invariably appear to be mint unissued when they appear for sale. I am considering buying a couple to go with various AIF items I have.

Thank you

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm assuming that you are referring to the patches woven on a khaki jean material with selvedge?

These appear to have been manufactured in Australia at or towards the end of the Great War, possibly as an economical substitute for wool. They are rarely seen on Great War uniforms but were worn folded as miniatures by ex-AIF personnel, and were worn in the Citizen Forces between the wars.

They are very similar in manufacture to the United States 'Liberty Loan' style of shoulder sleeve insignia from the same period.

There is no evidence that they have been reproduced in any form. Worn examples exist, these include from my former collection a 26 Bn patch with woven brass wire 'A', and a 24 Bn patch with golden yellow embroidered 'A', although the latter was not worn.

They would be ok to display with AIF items, I still have a couple of artillery ones, but they are not typical of colour patches actually worn abroad.

Cheers,
Keith