View Single Post
Old 20-09-20, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Firstly, the badge you refer to - is a fake.

However, your ggfather might have been in the Guards Machine Gun Battalion - rather than the 'MGC'.
Thanks for the helpful reply on the badge.

I too have wondered whether I should be seeking the Machine Gun Corps, Machine Gun Regiment or Machine Gun Battalion badge. The answer is still a mystery to me.

Grampy was in 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards before the war, went on reserve and emigrated to Canada, then was recalled at the start of WWI and returned to England, and then was shipped on to France (earning the 1914 start with the 1st Bn GGuards); he then was sent home to England in spring of 1916--can't figure out why--then later reinlisted under a different regimental number in the Machine Gun Corps, but I'm not at all clear that this means he was part of the *Guards* MGC. Documents relating to that later service refer to "D Battalion M.G.C." and "D.M.G.C." and "M.G.C. at Chiseldon" and "Machine Gun Corps." So maybe he was a member of the Guards Machine Gun Battalion and they just called it "Machine Gun Corps" in their correspondence at the time? Very confusing.