Thread: PoW
View Single Post
Old 22-11-21, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
It is often said that those returning from war display little interest in talking about their experiences. It isn't too difficult to understand why, and not just those who spent time as PoWs.
This is very true: my dear late dad was invalided out of the Royal Navy in the early 30s and found himself in the Merchant Navy during the war, continuing as a sailor until the late 50s when he married mum. He never spoke of the war to me, and precious little to mum - of course I was fascinated by the subject, even getting permission to stay up past my curfew to watch "Colditz". Mum said it was history so I could stay up late, and dad would stomp off down the Legion muttering about "the b***** war". I sometimes wonder if I should have been more forward and asked him about it (I know his ship was mined in the Med), but who knows what horrors I might have dredged up so maybe it was as well that I kept quiet.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.