View Single Post
Old 29-09-17, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
it features a naval crown, yet nothing associated with the RAF..
Incorrect. That is a proper astral crown, specifically created from wings and stars. Always has been associated with the RAF, RAF Regt, RAuxAF and the ATC. Also used by the Civil Air Guard, I believe, during the inter-war 1930s, or earlier.

A nautical crown is created from tall-ship sails and masts, and doesn't look anything like this one.

My suspicion is that this is an unofficial melange badge, of a type generically referred to as a "morale patch".

Odd conjunctions such as the RAF cap-badge superimposed upon the RAF tactical recognition tricolour are now appearing (I'll post an image).

I view these as being a commercial reaction to there being too much under-utilised velco/hook-and-loop that now adorns MTP/UBACS combat clothing and Molle webbing. It also resonates with the weird partial convergence that seems to have emerged between the real military, and paintballers (who are now taking their cues ever-more strongly from POV RPGs such as 'Call Of Duty' crossed with semi-fictional depictions of USSF personnel and sci-fi soldiers).

Bring back khaki BDs and '37 webbing, I say....