View Single Post
Old 13-01-19, 09:26 AM

I would agree that the lead collar badges on the right of the photo are pre-1900 St Geo English Rifle Regt. Interesting that the sword faces down like the hat badge (also lead filled). It is apparent that the C.O. Lt Col Neild is wearing this type of collar badge not the other one.
The other two badges on the left of Dennis's photo are the 1901-03 types contemporary with the KC helmet plate and the larger sized hat badge. I also believe (and would be interested whether you think I am correct) that Col Neild's hat badge is the lead filled one with a crown. It seems too large from its side view to be the shorter St Geo without the crown and he definitely became C.O. about 1896.
There is another smaller St Geo variation pictured with the 1903 set, worn as an epaulette badge.
Three other observations:
1. the 1901 plain St Geo badge was worn in both sizes in both WM and gilt, and the post 1903 titles come in WM and gilt as well.
2. the smaller sized 1901 badge exists facing both right and left, but IMHO was only worn in NSW facing to the right. The other was apparently worn by the UK regiment who originally wore the badge before NSW purchased it "off the shelf". I don't know who or when but maybe someone can identify the British crossbelt plate.
3. attached is another smaller variation from my photo file, don't know what it is.
More pix on the other thread on the St Geo colour sgt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John_Neild.jpg (22.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1903InfStGeoSet2.jpg (32.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg StGeofacing.jpg (29.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg phil3.jpg (47.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg qvRilesUK.jpg (47.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by kingsley; 13-01-19 at 09:31 AM.