View Single Post
Old 21-05-16, 11:38 AM

Default Gaunt Bham vs Gaunt London

Essentially, I believe the conclusion was thus:-

Yes the Gaunt London mark was accepted as generally earlier. It is not found in badges made after about 1970, if we use Chris Marsh's appendix of sealed patter cards as a representative sample.

The latest we see on pattern cards for Gaunt BHam was 1969.

However where it was originally believed that the change over date from the London to the BHam mark was around 1973, Chris Marsh's excellent research found this to be incorrect.

Chris found that going by MOD/WD documented material that the earliest mention for Gaunt Bham was I believe 1966 (reference to a Queens Regt slider problem). I tended to disagree as this slider was brass and not anodised which may have been significant.

But following on from this, Alan highlighted that on some of the Brigade cap badges, the Gaunt Bham mark can be found, going back pre 1960 even, which kicked my theory of 1970 as the approximate change over point into the long grass. There may not be documentation effective but the badges exist.

So if I understand all this correctly it would appear that the Gaunt Bham and London marks were used simultaneously throughout the 1960's to a greater or a lesser extent. The London mark almost certainly coming first and being phased out prior to 1970. The Gaunt Bham mark was used well into the 90's.

In relation to badges that are perceived as being outside the recognised NSN regime as it were, but do exist. Chris refers to them as unofficial commissions. If they were made and sold essentially as fakes to collectors or for a museum or regimental reunion I would agree. If they were commissioned by a battalion from Regimental funds (the best example of this practise is the anodised black badges that we find) perhaps a more accurate term would be 'Regimental commission'.

Best regards all.

Bess