View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 07:39 PM

Mike, exactly as I described, yes. I also have an example made by Firmin London.

There are of course anodised alluminium collar badges that go along with this badge - in two types. If I may quote Colin Churchill from History of British Army Infantry Collar Badge;-

'.......an upright grenade in gilding metal with st George and the dragon within a motto circle in white metal. Worn until 1952/3 when it was replaced by a similar but horizontal grenade. Worn on the No.1 and No.3 dress jackets. Use of these badges ceased in the regular battalions in 1962, but continued in TA units. On 23rd April 1965 the badge in gold and silver anodised was sealed. Pattern No.19702. Made by Messrs. Dowler, it is interesting to note that on the sealed pattern studied, st George and the dragon face right on both examples. A similar grenade, but vertical was worn with the No.2 dress jacket and on the mess waiters livery jacket. c.1963. It is doubtful if these were officially authorised.

Gold and silver anodised grenades with st George and the dragon within a motto circle were sealed 9th October 1956 under reference 54/INF/8779 for wear vertically on No.2 dress soldiers jackets of D company (TA) but whether they were ever worn is not known.

From 1962 - 1968 the men wore Fusilier Brigade pattern vertical collar badges in gold and silver anodised on the service dress jackets'

So, two types in anodised alluminium, one configured as the cap badge and one with the grenade horizontal. It would appear that they do not come in facing pairs either. I dont have any of these in my collection but I have seen them.

All food for thought gentlemen.

Bess