View Single Post
Old 04-01-09, 12:41 AM

I have managed a little research on this (highly confusing) subject recently and need to modify the input I gave in post 3

The IG went to war with the metal GM star and initials "I G" for a shoulder title. These were replaced in about 1917 with the cloth title "Irish Guards"

By at least 12 October 1917 (and possibly as early as 31 July 1917) the cloth title had been adopted as evidenced by contempory photographs of troops at the first battle of Passchedaele (and earlier the battle of Pilckem Ridge.) Published sources give the reason for the change as the metal titles were too conspicious (I am not convinced of this but it may be correct). Photos dated through 1916 show the metal shoulder titles in use.

Pipers photographed in 1917 (with no exact date) show the metal title in wear.

The machine gun guards wore a cloth title white on red, the title was on "two levels" (but single piece) with the wording "Machine Gun" on the upper level and the word "Guards" on the lower level. Uper level curved lower straight, straight edges. Westlake indicateds metal titles were worn but I have not seen evidence of them (but I have not looked very hard).

PM me if you want a scan of the Machine Gun Guards Title.

John

main sources are;
Chappell. Mike, 1995, The Guards Divisions 1914-45. Osprey Elite Series no. 61, London, Osprey Military Books.

Fosten, Bryan & Carman, William Y. , 1995 Uniforms of the Foot Guards from 1661 to the present day. Romford, Essex. The Pompadour Gallery.

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 04-01-09 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added references