View Single Post
Old 12-02-19, 12:11 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
I've had this for a while and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or move it on as I'm accumulating too much.

There were quite a few Lt Cols in the various Devonshire Regiment Battalions, I would be nice if I could work out who he was?

So perhaps there are some clues in the medal ribbons.

Am I right that the Territorial Efficiency medal was only awarded to other ranks who had done 12 years service in a TA battalion after 1930?

And that no Devonshire Regiment Battalion served in N Africa in the qualifying period for the Africa Star, but would the 2nd Battalions time in Malta or the 4th Battalions in Gibraltar have qualified?

The Gilgil country club tickets I found in the pocket were presumably from a period of leave in Kenya?

Thanks for looking

Rob
Hello Rob

According to British Battles and Medals by Major LL Gordon, my copy is a 5th edition dated 1979,
"The Africa Star was awarded for 1 or more days service in north Africa between 10th June 1940 and 12th May 1943, both dates inclusive".

ARMY
"The qualifications is the entry into North Africa on the establishment of an operational unit.
Service in Abyssinia, The Somalilands, Eritrea, Sudan, and, be it noted, Malta was included, but not that in West Africa".

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.