View Single Post
Old 22-08-16, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnforth View Post
I not trying to be adversarial here - I haven't read Royal Signals dress regs.

But I would expect them to refer not to a uniform item for all Sgts and WOs but only to a duty sash when performing regimental duties, and as such not rank specific because as I understand it, Cpls sometimes do wear it when orderly corporal.

But it also begs another question, if Royal Signals Sgts and WOs all wear red sashes on Public Duties at Buckingham Palace which they do, surely that's contrary to their own dress regs?
The Regtl Duty sash is indeed in Blue and made with a Royal Signals Mercury on the front. It's a regtl practice and wear is by no means universal. Often worn by provost staff and sometimes by the Duty Sgt. Orderly Cpls would not generally wear one but Provost Cpls will do so at times. Again regtl practice and the Signals has lots more regts than the Inf Bns do so.

The red sash has been worn on blues for ceremonial and were worn at the Palace when the Corps mounted wearing Blues a few years ago - blue on blue really would not work would it? Likewise depending on the occasion you may see green belts being worn on FAD but pool-loan white belts have also been worn on parades. Dress regs are flexible and change all the time. For example up until a few years ago Signals officers wore a Sam Browne in No1 dress. They now wear crossbelts. What changed? The SOinC at the time.