View Single Post
Old 10-01-08, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGP View Post
Here is another pic of my Grandfather in his RA days, although I cannot confirm that the uniform/insignia support this . This would be around 1916. Any thoughts?
Doesn't look like RA to me. Collar is a pale colour (may be white but you cannot always tell in B&W photos) and he is also wearing a star helmet plate whereas from memory the RA's was a coat of arms with a gun. Looks more like Army Service Corps (ASC) but I do not have reference books to hand to check cuff pattern, etc. My supposition is that your Grandfather did a shortish stint with the A&SH in the early 1900s and then was recalled to the colours in WW1 as a Regular Reservist, but went into the ASC due to 'special skills' held or a lower medical grading. He was then probably with an ASC 'artillery train' providing ammunition resuppy and thus 'serving' with the RA. Indicators of ASC are the white collars (ASC facing colours), the cuff pattern (with trefoil), the Ball Top to the Universal Helmet (also worn by RA and AOC), the Girdle belt with a white line (just visible), twisted white shoulder cords (key indicator) and the Star Helmet Plate.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added facts and supposition.