View Single Post
Old 29-09-11, 05:25 PM

Default interesting.

I still think this is a (very expert) postwar modification. Perhaps done by Scully or a jeweler in Canada? (several officers came from the Montreal area). The originals of this type have the lugs cast in as well and from the appearance of your badge, particularly the bottom post it appears the post was attached to or made from the stump of the old lug.

This would certainly make the badge easier to mount on a forage cap. Of those badges with lugs, the lugs are very short. When I took the badge off Maj. Binghams' cap, getting it back on and fastened with the retaining pin was a struggle to say the least.

The original order for these badges was fulfilled by Gaunt in England. The bronze badges were made in a very limited quantity in January 1945. No receipt exists in the WD for the exact quantity, but at the time there were only 30-34 officers in the Regiment and not all officers received this badge. In fact the bronze badge was not adopted for wear with OSD by any of the officers I have personally documented, including the CO, the 2i/c and a Squadron commander, they preferred the brass. But that is not to say others, post disbandment/post war did not wear their bronze badges, enough "worn" badges have turned up now to indicate otherwise.