View Single Post
Old 23-07-21, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I posted a photo of a large Comrades badge, number 255 I think. If we assume that there might have been a semi-numerical sequence, we could find lower numbers on the larger badges.

I can think of at least three local associations that "downsized" in the late 20's.
It is likely that the lowest number badges were given to the founders and members of the first branch , it is also 'probable' that the original badge numbers did match up to their membership number.

Quote:
The first club founded by the Comrades of the Great War was the Surrey county branch and was opened on Saturday, 8 December 1917, at Addlestone, near Weybridge.
When numerous other branches were formed they started issuing their own membership numbers and got 'badge numbers' from the National Headquarters in London.

They started off as a 'Post' , when they reached 100 members they became a 'Branch' . After that (I assume when a branch membership increased or other branchess formed in the same area ) they became a 'Division' .

PS. It took the BL until 1945/6 to finally decide to reduce the size of their membership badges.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted